8/10/2008

What do I have to do to get some good Mexican food around here?


A couple of my Cali'ed friends (def: "people like me who grew up in California but somehow ended up in Tokyo after college") and I went to OTRA the other day. We had just watched Batman - Dark Knight - so we were in the mood for some flavors of home. That's right. Yo quiero burritos! So we decided to go to Otra in Ebisu, which is near Garden Place, to satisfy our cravings.

Let's cut the chase. This place sucks. It really does. The A/C doesn't work, it took forever (literally, 20 minutes!!) until all our drinks came out, my friend's burrito was served even before our table's appetizers (what I think were nachos), and the overall food was mediocre at best. Ok, so we have to give them some slack because we've all eaten the real thing and LA kids are more picky about Mexican food than even the true amigos in Mexico. But still. There is acceptable, and there is I want my money back. The only decent dish was buffalo wings. See, they can't do Mexican! Ugh.

I miss Albertos. I miss Robertos. I miss Cotixans.
I miss Baja Fresh and Chipotle. 
I even miss Wahoo's and Taco Bell. SO MUCH.

Japanese people have mastered every type of cuisine. They have. But they still get a C- for Mexican. The decent Mexican food places in Tokyo are La Jolla (Hiroo) and Junkadelic (Nakameguro) only. OTRA should be delisted. (Photo source: gnavi)


Tex Mex Dining Bar OTRA
Shibuya-ku, Ebisu Minami 1-23-8, American Bridge Bldg 3F
They're open from 11:30-23:00, but it's not worth the visit.
Tel: 03.3719.8511