8/10/2008

Kurosawa


I am pretty picky about Soba and Udon. The texture, the flavor, the aroma, the color... it all has to be just right. And it better be handmade or I ain't having it. There are a couple great soba places down in Azabu Jyuban, but it's tad too far to go for lunch on the weekdays, so I stick with Keyaki Kurosawa, which is just across the street from my office.  I go there probably 4-5 times a month for lunch. This place makes the cut for good soba at a decent price. 

Keyaki is one of the late director's restaurants. There are 3 other restaurants in the Kurosawa Restaurant franchise, all with different themes and menus, but all of them have photographs of Akira Kurosawa and his old movie stills decorating the walls. Keyaki is the simplest of the bunch, I think. The interior is reminiscent of an old Japanese house, and the wood furnishings are warm and relaxing. My favorites here are the cold Inaka soba (735 yen) and the hot Tamagotoji soba (945 yen). Pairing it with a pork rice bowl (butadon, 945 yen. Aka is my choice) is definitely a MUST. I have to admit that the portions are small. If you don't have a pork rice bowl with your soba, you'll be hungry by 3 pm. 


Keyaki Kurosawa(欅くろさわ)
Minato-ku, Nishiazabu 3-2-15, Across the street from Grand Hyatt Roppongi
Open 11:30-15:00, 18:00-3:00, Closed Sundays
Tel: 03.5775.9638