8/10/2008

Creamy and Dreamy


There's a new shop in town. From the great plains of Yakumo, Hokkaido comes Motoyama Milk Bar. It opened this past April at Roppongi Hills, taking over the space that used to be Tofu Cafe. There's a big fat Daisy cow standing in front of some blue and pink doors. You can't miss it. It's the first thing I see going up the escalators every morning. The milk stand opens at 8 am so you can actually buy a bottle of milk on your way to work. I like the coffee milk (320 yen), personally, but what's cool is that they all come in a glass bottle with a paper tab lid. Just like the old days! (well, old days like for our parents... I'm sure we all had paper and plastic in our generation). 

After lunch, you can grab yourself a softserve ice cream (480 yen) too that is just pure heaven. Creamy AND dreamy! And when you see a group of grown men in suits sitting at a table eating ice cream, you can't help but smile. I have yet to actually go inside the place (I just settle for the window stand) but they apparently serve more elaborate things for eat-in guests, like parfaits, pancakes, and even curries and gratins. I bet they're good too. Motoyama even has online shopping so if feel like it, I can have them deliver milk (and coffee milk!) to my door for up to 6 months! Awesome. The only thing is though, I try very hard to stick to nonfat milk every day, so I'll have to pass on the delivery thing. I've gained too many pounds because of rich milk sold and served in Japan. Any more and I won't be able to moooove. (Photo source: Motoyama Milk Bar)


Motoyama Milk Bar
Minato-ku, Roppongi 6-4-1, Roppongi Hills Metrohat 1F, Tokyo
Open 8:00-22:00