8/15/2008

Monna Lisa Smile

For that special occasion with that special someone, MONNA LISA is the place to go. It’s a wonderful French restaurant in Ebisu (with another location in Marunouchi). My best friend took me here for my birthday 2 years ago and I absolutely loved it! It is definitely one of the higher-end restaurants in Tokyo but I think for the ambiance, food, and location, the visit is worth every penny (yen). Like the patrons who are all very composed and well-dressed, the dishes here are works of art. In terms of food presentation, this place ranks in the highest echelons. Some of the plates are just too pretty that you feel bad devouring it all up with your fork.

I had the 10,000 yen B course menu when I went, which included an amuse, 2 appetizers, 2 entrees (fish and meat), a cheese plate, a huge dessert plate, and caffe to finish. It was devine. But let me just say that the 6,800 yen A course will be PLENTY. I thought I was going to explode having the B course. Just so you know, there is also a 13,000 yen C menu as well as a Degustation (tasting) menu for 15,000. I think you'd have to be a starving athlete to finish them. Here is their current lineup for Course B:

Menu B
*Small size Appetizer
*Tartare of baked eggplant and seafood
*Galette of calamari and marinated vegetables, cappuccino style
*Risotto of grilled “Ayu” with summer truffle flavor
*Sauteed spiced veal and asparagus

Or 
*Langoustine-stuffed pintade, red pepper sauce
*Assorted cheese or Fruit soup

*Today's special dessert
*Coffee or Tea, Herb tea + sweets

The dessert plate is by far the best I have ever had. Maybe it was because it was my birthday? I dunno, but I had 8 petit gateaux on my plate. It was like a dream come true. (Photo source: Monna Lisa)


MONNA LISA EBISU
Shibuya-ku, Ebisu 1-14-4
Tel: 03.5458.1887
Open 11:30-14:00, 17:30-21:30 daily
http://www.monnalisa.co.jp/index.html